[Nottingham] NTL ip address ranges

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 19:31:48 BST 2003

Graeme Fowler wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 19:00, Martin wrote:
>
>>they're not on ntl!
>

> Yes they are, that's part of the legacy Diamond Cable (dccl.net)
> netblock:
> route:        195.182.160.0/19
> remarks:      For abuse and security issues contact
> remarks:      abuse at ntlworld.com
> descr:        Diamond Cable Communications (UK) Ltd
[...]
> Wearing my work-shaped hat for a moment, as we changed our NTL BGP
> peering from AS12323 to AS5089 last year I'd surmise that they're
> phasing out 12323 and its' associated IP ranges altogether, moving
> everyone into 5089.

OK... So I know my beer better than IP address allocations.

Sniffing around a little deeper and it looks like dynamic blacklisting
is a much better bet. 10 pings (or other unwantedness) and you're out
for a week.

Still prefer to see logs to see what has been happening as well as what
is happening. All depends on usefulness vs time. I'm just improving the
time factor.

martin at ml1.co.uk