[Nottingham] NTL ip address ranges

Paul Sladen notlug at paul.sladen.org
Fri Oct 17 20:27:45 BST 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Martin wrote:
> Paul Sladen wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Martin wrote:
> > was recently assigned to Proweb Ltd--an ISP based in Nottingham.
> www.proweb.net.         86290   IN      A       195.182.164.17
> they're not on ntl!

You may wish to acquaint yourself a little more, with:

  http://www.paul.sladen.org/nottingham-isps/

particularly:

  http://www.paul.sladen.org/nottingham-isps/#proweb

and perhaps also ``Diamond Cable'' (aka ``Diamond Cable Communications
Limited'' aka ``DCCL'' aka ``NTL Midlands Ltd''):

  http://www.paul.sladen.org/nottingham-isps/#dccl

> And yep, I'm one of the ntl scum. The 'blacklist' is just the Shorewall
> blacklist that quietly drops the incoming stuff.

Hmmm.  Are you wanting me to unleash my scathe for ICMP-droppers, too?

> Being as ntl are inconsiderate enough to mix the residential and
> business ip stuff together,

``inconsiderate''?  The Whois example that I gave should give you an idea
of how stuff is assigned--mostly to the nearest /24--and its likely use.

On the contrary.  NTL are ``considerate'' in that they have only added
1 additional prefix to the routeing table, rather than dozens.

Perhaps you should start lobbying OFTEL to assigned separate area-codes
for business, resential, third-sector, goverment and tele-sales companies so
that you can ignore them more easily?

HTH, HAND,

	-Paul
--
War is inconsistent with Truth.  Nottingham, GB