[Nottingham] BCS Membership

Godfrey Nix godfrey at gnnix.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 23:15:48 BST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 18:45, Tom Bird wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Jon Masters wrote:
>
> > I am considering whether to join the BCS as a graduate member so can
> > anyone here tell me whether it is worth joining or not?
> >
> > I have to say application forms in MS Word format are an immediate put
> > off for the likes of me.

I would say go for it. Never mind the MS format docs, I use openoffice
to read 'em.

> They will send you spam.  Lots of spam.  Don't use your primary address
> for it, unless you really like reading junk about training courses you
> don't want.

I have been a member for many years now, and I hardly call one email a
month 'lots of spam'. And if you are so concerned, each message I
receive has an opt-out link.

> I signed up under an address that's *not* my primary one, and ended up
> taking the entry out of my virtusertable because it pissed me off.  The
> free magazine is arse too.  Suffice it to say, I've not renewed my
> subscription.

So, why am I a member?  discounted books conferences and training
courses, professional services like liability insurance (especially
useful to programmers in this litigious age), discounted bank loans, and
a view of computing that is not blinkered by the confines of the
employer that I am working for (especially useful to me in past
employment). I have been on advisory committees and feel that in some
small way I am able to make my views known. Don't be put off. Find other
BCS members and ask them what they think.

regards,

Godfrey Nix
Chartered Engineer, MBCS