[Nottingham] New Member

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Tue Oct 28 16:09:32 GMT 2003

"jay haynes" wrote:

> I am new this group with very little expierence of Linux but have
> expierence of unix. What is the best way in starting up with a Pc
> and what sort of minimum spec do I require.

Hi and welcome.  Depends what you want to do!  For internet
browsing, email and image viewing for example, I've found an
old 266MHz PII with 96MB of memory to be quite adequate.  A DVD
drive is a big advantage.

Get hold of a 'spare' PC if you can, then look for a Linux mag
with a distro glued to the cover, would be my advice.  Direct
any questions or requests for assistance here, or have a look at
the forums at linuxformat.co.uk.

Cheers
James