[Nottingham] .fetchmailrc difficulties

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 11 20:34:02 2003

On Thursday 11 Sep 2003 19:09, James Gibbon wrote:

> However, in practice, while my laptop IS leaving mail on the server
> for my desktop to pick up later, it is also pulling down down ALL
> messages on the server each time, not just unseen messages - so that
> to download new messages I have to download an increasing number of
> old messages each time as well.
>
> What am I doing wrong, anyone?

Have you tried watching the log with verbosity enabled to see the protocol and
any error responses?  It might be useful.

See there's a hint,  in man page "Note that POP2 retrieval behaves as though
--all is always on (see RETRIEVAL FAILURE MODES below) and this option does
not work with ETRN or ODMR".  So  what's Virgin's POP server being asked
exactly?

Rob