[Nottingham] .fetchmailrc difficulties

James Gibbon nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 11 21:43:01 2003

Robert Davies wrote:
> On Thursday 11 Sep 2003 19:09, James Gibbon wrote:
>
> > However, in practice, while my laptop IS leaving mail on the server
> > for my desktop to pick up later, it is also pulling down down ALL
> > messages on the server each time, not just unseen messages - so that
> > to download new messages I have to download an increasing number of
> > old messages each time as well.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong, anyone?
>
> Have you tried watching the log with verbosity enabled to see the protocol and
> any error responses?  It might be useful.

Hi Robert,

Here's what happens:

vaio:/home/jg 19$ fetchmail -v
fetchmail: 5.9.0 querying mail.virgin.net (protocol POP3) at Thu 11 Sep 2003 21:07:45 BST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK InterMail POP3 server ready.
fetchmail: POP3> USER james.gibbon
fetchmail: POP3< +OK please send PASS command
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK james.gibbon is welcome here
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 2 10291
fetchmail: POP3> LAST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 0
fetchmail: 2 messages for james.gibbon at mail.virgin.net (10291 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 2 messages
fetchmail: POP3< 1 4151
fetchmail: POP3< 2 6140
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 4151 octets
fetchmail: reading message 1 of 2 (4151 octets)
#***********************.************************fetchmail:  not flushed
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 2
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 6140 octets
fetchmail: reading message 2 of 2 (6140 octets)
#*********************************.*************************.***************************.**************.
*************fetchmail:  not flushed
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK james.gibbon InterMail POP3 server signing off.
fetchmail: normal termination, status 0
vaio:/home/jg 20$

.. now, I'm uncertain whether "not flushed" is significant or
not.  I had assumed that it indicated that the mail was being
left on the server as required, but it seems that it may also
signify that there's a problem with local mail delivery.
However, the mail is turning up in my folders exactly as I'd
expect and there's nothing fishy at all in my procmail log.

Ta
James