[Nottingham] Notlug RFC1

Tony Leake nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Sep 22 17:28:01 2003

I've never made it to a meeting yet (but may do one day :)) heres my 2cents
below

>Defining a neonate as "someone who has installed and is using an easy
>distro (SuSe, Mandrake...)"

Hmm, don't know what neonate means but i'm not sure it's too complementary
:)

>We have a few neonates in the group, hopefuly more after the awareness day.
>We also have quite a few seasoned Luggites.  I don't know what it would
>cover
>but a session where the veterans could help expand neonates use of
>Linux into new areas could work.

Been using 'easy' distros for 4 years and am currently trying out Debian
(which I'm sure is what most of you hardcore people would call a real
distro) I would certainly come to a talk about the benefits of other distros
as I seem to miss the point a little.

>I guess something like:
>Given a standard distro what should I install and how do I go about setting
>up a cool secure website with all sorts of whistles and bells (dynamic
>updates,
>database backend, authentiaction, authorization, yodelling penguin in the
>corner) ?
>
>It could also cover things like:
>	Which 'language' would be best

I could help  out a little here, I make a living as a php developer and have
written some sites in perl and jsp to boot.

tony