[Nottingham] Notlug RFC1

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 23 10:22:59 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Haber, Michael wrote:

> >>1. Do you have ideas for sessions to add to the list ?
>
> I'd like to see '101 cool things you can do with perl' as a meeting title.

While not claiming to be an expert, that is one I can do.

What level should it be aimed at ?

I can think of three areas I'd be almost happy to cover:

1. Beginners Perl
Covering simple programs so, variables, subroutines, file handling,
user input, interacting with a shell and easy to use modules.

2. Objects in Perl
Covering more complex topics and modules through perl's object methodology.

3. Client / Server
There are some good perl modules out there which allow on to quickly put together
clients and servers.  There are also some more complicated ones which make
my brain hurt.

I would also need to know if I'd be expected to cover 'programming fundamentals'
or if they could be taken as read.

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,