[Nottingham] Notlug RFC1

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 23 13:30:01 2003

Duncan John Fyfe wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Haber, Michael wrote:
[...]
>>I'd like to see '101 cool things you can do with perl' as a meeting title.
>
> While not claiming to be an expert, that is one I can do.
>
> What level should it be aimed at ?
>
> I can think of three areas I'd be almost happy to cover:
>
> 1. Beginners Perl
> Covering simple programs so, variables, subroutines, file handling,
> user input, interacting with a shell and easy to use modules.
>
> 2. Objects in Perl
> Covering more complex topics and modules through perl's object methodology.
>
> 3. Client / Server
> There are some good perl modules out there which allow on to quickly put together
> clients and servers.  There are also some more complicated ones which make
> my brain hurt.
>

> I would also need to know if I'd be expected to cover 'programming fundamentals'
> or if they could be taken as read.

That sounds good.

I think the 'programming fundamentals' should be able to be picked up
'on-the-fly' or at most, explained further over liquid stimulation
later. Most people should have had a bash experience. And those that
haven't had a bash can still enjoy a flavour.

A brain teaser perl to finish off with could be good for stimulating
additional liquid stimulants to flow freely (:-))

martin@ml1.co.uk