[Nottingham] Sun's financial support for SCO (12% of SCO's revenue)

Robert Postill nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 23 11:47:00 2003

Well, I have to admit I'm tied in knots over this... It's like whichever
way you turn you hear something different. This morning I picked up a
story from linux today, it's an e-week article (I know they're not my
favourite site either) in which they talk to Sun's Jonathan Schwatrz
(http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1274638,00.asp). On page two:
*eWEEK:* Some critics are saying that it's not just Microsoft funding
SCO but also Sun, citing the fact that you acquired another license from
them recently, received warrants to buy shares in SCO and are losing the
most customers in the migration from Unix to Linux. It thus makes
enormous sense for Sun to fund SCO, their logic goes. How do you respond
to that?
*Schwartz:* We took a license from AT&T initially for $100 million as we
didn't own the IP. The license we took also made clear that we had
rights equivalent to ownership. When we did the deal with SCO earlier
this year we bought a bunch of drivers and when we give money to a
company oftentimes we get warrants, which is part of the negotiations. I
have warrants in 100 different companies, we have a huge venture
portfolio. I can't do anything about the perception that's out there and
to be blunt, I don't care as those people aren't going to drive our
future—customers are.

So did they did buy drivers and got other stuff chucked in for free...or
are they trying to keep Solaris out of Linux's reach? I'll definitely
agree that I can't imagine SCO has such top class drivers that Sun need
to pay them so much money. However it does occur to me that this issue
(of drivers) may have been kicking around in Solaris x86 for a while and
that's why Sun was so keen to kill off Solaris x86 last year.

I'd certainly like a definitive, truthful answer to this. I can't stand
the dishonesty around the whole thing. SCOs stance is reprehensible and
the sooner we can get back to using Linux unmolested the better.

Robert.