[Nottingham] Sun's financial support for SCO (12% of SCO's revenue)

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 23 12:47:01 2003

On Tuesday 23 Sep 2003 11:46, Robert Postill wrote:

> I'd certainly like a definitive, truthful answer to this. I can't stand
> the dishonesty around the whole thing. SCOs stance is reprehensible and
> the sooner we can get back to using Linux unmolested the better.

I doubt we'll get definitive truthful answers, Sun want us to believe they
needed drivers from SCO.  That they can indemnify customers of Sun Linux Java
Desktop is just totally unrelated, and also that SCO have apperently said Sun
customer's won't be sued, also just pure coincidence.  They seem to want to
have their cake and eat it, benefit from the FUD effects, support SCO's
action against competitors, strengthen Solaris's sea-wall against the
inrushing Linux tide, yet maintain plausible deniability, and launch 'safe'
Linux products.  They must realise open backing for SCO, will be very
unpopular with Unix professionals, who see the larger picture, and want
vendors using the opportunities to compete more effectively with M$, rather
than fight harder with each other in a declining market.  Sun might benefit
in short term, longer term it's a loose-loose strategy for the Unix/Linux
market.

SCO, M$ and Sun, benefit from a climate of uncertainty, that's the reason much
talk, little facts or evidence shown, plenty of threats and warnings of
risks, plus planting the idea of disrespect of IP, which cleverly confuses
opposition to patents with respect for copyrights.

There's quite a few comments floating about, about SCO including GPL code,
according to ex-SCO employees, and fingers have been pointing to their Linux
personality module, but I've not seen anything authoriative, though the
Groklaw letter does mention it
http://www.groklaw.com/article.php?story=20030920122117265

 "Would you be willing to allow us to check for such violations? We
particularly wish to check your Linux Kernel Personality (LKP) source code.
We suspect that there may be GPL source code taken from the Linux kernel and
used in LKP without authorization, and we challenge you to prove this has not
happened by showing us your LKP source code, throughout its complete
development history to date."

Rob