[Nottingham] Still no luck with 2.6-test5

Robert Davies nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 23 22:20:01 2003

On Tuesday 23 Sep 2003 21:08, Philip Scott wrote:
> I suspect it may have something to do with my system clock, which can't
> count, and keeps on changing randomly - which has all sorts of wierd
> effects on make and Makefiles in general, however it was all hunky dory.

Hmmm, that would, you better get an NTP server (xntpd or chrony) installed so
you can have the time set from network, on boot.

> A few pitfalls:
> ~~~~~~~~
> (Mainly for gentoo users)
> I spent a good few hours trying to figure why xterm wouldn't work; the
> answer is that the /dev/pts filesystem is no longer automatically mounted
> as part of devfs. So unless you mount it manually, or add a line:
>
> devpts                  /dev/pts        devpts          defaults        0 0

That one was mentioned in links I posted while back on 2.6.  I followed advice
to add luser's to the tty group as well.

You'll find you may need to upgrade to ~x86 versions of some packages,
reiserfsprogs and chrony are ones I remember that need the 'unstable'
versions.

Rob