[Nottingham] Still no luck with 2.6-test5

Philip Scott nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 23 23:40:00 2003

Hello again, and thanks for your reply

> That one was mentioned in links I posted while back on 2.6.  I followed
> advice to add luser's to the tty group as well.

Ahh, a good old case of
	echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D4D465452snlbxq'|dc

Allthough to be fair, I had a nice little adventure into kernel-land, it's
quite astounding how complicated it is just to get a nice simple terminal all
to yourself.

> You'll find you may need to upgrade to ~x86 versions of some packages,
> reiserfsprogs and chrony are ones I remember that need the 'unstable'
> versions.

Okey dokey, I don't user reiserfs, so I should be okay there. I'll get the XFS
utilities just in case. I'm noticing a few odd things; bzip seems to be
segfaulting more often than it used to when working on big files (It gave met
the best ever segfault error, there was a whole page of explanation as to
what could be causing it - the least likely explanation, according to it, is
a bug in bzip) And compiling stuff seems a little tempremental. I've had
these problems before, though, I think I have a few bytes ever so slightly
forgetfull RAM somewhere in my dear machine, and the new kernel is bringing
the rubbish to light ;)

Now, back to the ALSA grindstone. I need to figure out which of these mixer
controls actually do something useful and how to make the others go away, for
sanity's sake :)

Regards,
	Philip