[Nottingham] Opensource devel environment?

David Luff David.Luff at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Sep 24 16:56:26 BST 2003

Hi all,

I have occasionally knocked up fairly small windows programs using Visual
C++ / MFC (M***soft foundation classes).  However, I'd very much like to
use a cross-platform alternative, capable of producing cross-platform code.
 There appear to be no shortage of similar class libraries - wxWindows,
FLTK, Qt and others come to mind.  In particular, I'm looking for something
with some sort of usable devel environment available, such as a graphical
dialog box designer, basic code template generator, that sort of thing,
preferably opensource and free.  Wouldn't be too bad if the devel
environment was Linux only, as long as cross-platform code could be
produced.  And similarity of the class library to mfc would be a plus,
which makes wxWindows look promising.

Any suggestions and recommendations of good stuff / bad stuff / potential
pit-falls before I pseudo-randomly start trying out stuff would be much
appreciated!!

Cheers - Dave