[Nottingham] Opensource devel environment?

Joe Wrigley joe at wrigley.me.uk
Thu Sep 25 10:26:10 BST 2003

>  From what I have seen the kde/qt environment for gui programming is
> moving towards a more standard multiplatform but you might consider
> using java!! Don't laugh everyone!

hahahaha, sorry. I'm thinking of using kdevelop and Qt-designer type stuff
for my final year project at uni. I haven't actually got any reviews, but
it looks quite nice from what I've seen.
> Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org) is a great IDE with some professional
> plugins available for free...I would go as far to say that it is
> unbeaten when it comes to java development. IBM's new widget api is
> also more responsive than Sun Swing components and its starting to gain
> momentum on all platforms...

Believe it or not, IBM actually use this stuff themselves. I spent 4
months cursing QARun for not recognising thing when doing GUI testing with
WMQI at IBM. My main gripe was how long it took for the GUI to start up.
It wasn't actually too slow once it was running, and I wasn't using overly
fast machines.
Joe