[Nottingham] Opensource devel environment?

Roger Light Roger.Light at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Sep 25 16:33:43 BST 2003

>> I have occasionally knocked up fairly small windows programs using Visual
>> C++ / MFC (M***soft foundation classes).  However, I'd very much like to
>> use a cross-platform alternative, capable of producing cross-platform code.
>
>"Kylix" sounds up your street if you like that kind of thing.

Indeed. Starting a new project that you want to be cross platform in Kylix/Delphi should work well. There are plenty of incompatibilities between them both such as different control names for very similar controls - TStaticText compared to TLabel and plenty of controls that just don't exist on Kylix, but if you take this into account when you start there should be no problem.

Kylix can be had for no cost although I believe Delphi does need paying for.

Disclaimer - my only real experience with Kylix has been a small amount of time trying to port a Delphi app (which used lots of controls that don't exist on Kylix...) to Kylix, so take what I've said with a pinch of salt.

Cheers,

Roger