[Nottingham] list mail header changes

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Fri Sep 26 09:27:27 BST 2003

On Friday 26 Sep 2003 08:16, Robert Davies wrote:
> I can't believe there's still so many unpatched clients, still left

I visited a friend at home last night. I hadn't been there for five
years. At the end of the evening he asked me to have a look at his PC.

It is left on for long periods, on an NTL broadband connection, running
Windows 98 with no security patches, and no firewall. The antivirus is
not running and was last updated in November 1999.

I added the security patches, and will go back this weekend to sort out
the rest.

My friend is not daft, and takes normal intelligent precautions in life
(has life assurance, wears seat belts, looks both ways before crossing
the road, etc.) He just doesn't understand about computers.

We could do with a major publicity campaign from Microsoft saying "the
software we have sold you is buggy and extremely dangerous, if you
don't understand how to keep it secure, do not use your computer until
you have obtained expert advice". Seems unlikely, though.

--
Michael Leuty <mike at leuty.net>