[Nottingham] getting a dvd writer to work in debian

Martin Garton martin at wrasse.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 27 13:48:26 BST 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Simon Amor wrote:

> Hi,
>   Trying to get a dvd writer working with linux, but everytime I
> modprobe ide-scsi, it dies horribly and the entire machine panics.
>
> hdd: MATSHITADVD-RAM SW-9571, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
>
> I've tried with and without adding hdd=ide-scsi to the boot params
>
> # modprobe ide-scsi
> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> hdd: attached ide-scsi driver.
> scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 0x12 00 00 00 ff 00
>
> followed by something about device sending 352 bytes when only
> expecting 256, and then a wonderful oops with something about
> "kernel BUG in iops.c". At that point, the caps lock and scroll lock
> leds on the (ps/2) keyboard start blinking and the machine has to be
> reset.

A decoded version of the oops if a good starting point. It may be that
your device is not properly supported, but thats no excuse for an oops.
(unless the hardware is buggy)

The blinking keyboard leds indicates a panic. Whatever bug caused the oops
went on to do more damage basically. (I'm sure others can elaborate /
correct me on this)

Did the BUG message give a line number for iops.c?

Regards,
Martin.