[Nottingham] getting a dvd writer to work in debian

Simon Amor simon at shoe.bocks.com
Sat Sep 27 21:14:43 BST 2003

Martin Garton wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Simon Amor wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >   Trying to get a dvd writer working with linux, but everytime I
> > modprobe ide-scsi, it dies horribly and the entire machine panics.
> >
> > hdd: MATSHITADVD-RAM SW-9571, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> >
> > I've tried with and without adding hdd=ide-scsi to the boot params
> >
> > # modprobe ide-scsi
> > SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> > hdd: attached ide-scsi driver.
> > scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
> > scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 0x12 00 00 00 ff 00
> >
> > followed by something about device sending 352 bytes when only
> > expecting 256, and then a wonderful oops with something about
> > "kernel BUG in iops.c". At that point, the caps lock and scroll lock
> > leds on the (ps/2) keyboard start blinking and the machine has to be
> > reset.
>
> A decoded version of the oops if a good starting point. It may be that
> your device is not properly supported, but thats no excuse for an oops.
> (unless the hardware is buggy)

hdd: MATSHITADVD-RAM SW-9571, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

I've got the oops in a file now, but have yet to work out how to decode
it..

>From what I can see through google, it's supported by Linux

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/computer/storage/dvdram/new/press/pr124.htm
] Companies like Luminex, a leading supplier of data distribution,
] archiving and storage products, have integrated the OEM MULTI Drive
] into data archiving solutions for UNIX/Linux users.

> Did the BUG message give a line number for iops.c?

1262
        /* We must not reset with running handlers */
        if(hwgroup->handler != NULL)
                BUG();

Simon Amor        simon at shoe.bocks.com
PGP: 0xF318D5F3   http://shoe.bocks.com/