[Nottingham] Preventing console starting on embedded arm-linux setup

Paul Sladen notlug at paul.sladen.org
Thu Apr 1 16:22:59 BST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Ant Allen wrote:

Hello Ant,

> At the moment when I boot the arm board I get two login prompts - one via
> the serial port to my host (which I want to keep), and one on the crt
> monitor connected to the arm board,

Look for the line in `/etc/inittab' which is starting `getty' on the
framebuffer;  comment it out with a `#' hash and run `init q' to reload
the `init' process.

If you start your application from the serial console, its messages should
go there;  alternatively pipe them there with something like:

  $ ./my-application 2>&1 > /dev/ttyS0

which first merges `stderr' and `stdout' and then pipes both to the serial
port (check you have permission to write to the serial port).

	-Paul
--
Is there no safe way to travel?  London, GB