[Nottingham] Debian download

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Wed Apr 14 08:59:08 BST 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 12:46:12AM +0100, Steve Caddy wrote:
> > http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/ though I suspect you may be
> > disappointed with woody if this is for a desktop.
> I'm reading this as another suggestion to try fedora as the next step.

Heh, well don't :)

I'd never advocate Fedora.  Fedora is trying to be (as I understand it)
Redhat's test ground for its real releases.  It's sort of trying to be
Debian in that it wants to have community support - although I'm not
sure how many developers get involved - yet it's just a proving ground
for the enterprise version.

I guess it depends what you want.  I couldn't go back to Redhat and it's
naive package management now I don't think.

If sarge had security support I'd say install sarge, but it doesn't
and won't until it's released properly.

> The big bad master plan is for me to nuke my RH9 and Win98 installs on
> the machine that's currently performing the task of file server, and
> upgrade thus:

> Wipe the RH9 and Win98 installs off hda2 and hda1 respectively.
> Repartition hda into just 2 partitions (one swap, one ext3), and
> install linux on it.
> Copy hdb1 (FAT32) (where all the data is) over to hda.
> Reformat hdb1 to ext3.
> Balance the storage load between the 2 ext3 40GB discs.
> Return file serving services (SMB) to something like normal.

> I'm assuming there's no problem with having a 40GB ext3 partition
> (in respect to booting, etc)?

Should be ok in recent machines I'd have thought.  You could always
create a small /boot partition if this does turn out to be a problem.

Simon.

--
oOoOo truth in search engines#4: do you mean "kill my coworkerS"?  oOoOo
 oOoOo                   -- http://www.ntk.net/                   oOoOo