[Nottingham] Debian download

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Wed Apr 14 09:34:51 BST 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 12:46:12AM +0100, Steve Caddy wrote:
>> I'm reading this as another suggestion to try fedora as the next step.
>
> Heh, well don't :)

Oh dear, YADA -> Yet Another Distro Argument. Considering this is a Linux
User Group, we do seem to spend a large amount of time telling new members, or
people considering change not to bother, don't we?

> I'd never advocate Fedora.  Fedora is trying to be (as I understand it)
> Redhat's test ground for its real releases.

That's not *entirely* true. The way Fedora appears to be working in the real
world, disregarding RedHat's original intentions, is that there's both a feed
forward and backward from the RH Enterprise developers and the community which
has now built up (and continues to build) around Fedora.
I guess the comment about it being a "proving ground" is simply an extension
of the original "free" versions of RedHat Linux, since they also received a
large amount of support and bugfixes from the community and internal
developers, and at the same time packages slid into and out of both "branches"
quite happily. Or unhappily, if you ever used Piranha.

> I guess it depends what you want.  I couldn't go back to Redhat and it's
> naive package management now I don't think.

Up2date using yum is far, far better than simply using duff old RPM. Yes, it
even allows you to pick and choose which branch of the release program you
want to install packages from, in exactly the same way you can slide from
Stable to Testing (and back again) with apt. Very useful.

Personally, I'd recommend Fedora to anybody, because I have never liked the
Debian installer. I wouldn't, however, make that a point of telling someone
not to use Debian.

Each to their own, comrades :)

Steve: just tell us all to sod off, and make your own choice. If you can spare
the time, park a minimal Fedora, Debian, and <insert any other distro here> on
your first disk in different partitions, work out how to make them all
bootable, and have yourself a bakeoff. Whichever one you like best wins out!

Graeme