[Nottingham] Debian download

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 10:42:02 BST 2004

Steve Caddy wrote:
[...]
> upgrade thus:
>
> Wipe the RH9 and Win98 installs off hda2 and hda1 respectively.
> Repartition hda into just 2 partitions (one swap, one ext3), and
> install linux on it.
> Copy hdb1 (FAT32) (where all the data is) over to hda.
> Reformat hdb1 to ext3.
> Balance the storage load between the 2 ext3 40GB discs.
> Return file serving services (SMB) to something like normal.
[...]

I'd recommend ReiserFS. It is well suited for file server duties where
you get the full range of users and abusers.

Also, look up whether you want to use its tail or notail option:
'tail' is very good for lots of small files;
'notail' is slightly faster & more robust, but you lose the special
support for small files.

I'd also recommend you go for a few more partitions to split up your
system areas. At the very least, have /home on its own. For robustness,
split up /tmp, /var, and others to taste.

> Someone tell me I'm not mad :-)

For stirring both a distro AND a partitions war (err, 'discussion')...!

(;-))

Good luck,
Martin

Mandrake 9.2