[Nottingham] Gentoo dead

Tom Bird tom at marmot.org.uk
Tue Apr 27 21:14:49 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 20:55, Philip Scott wrote:
> Don't worry chaps, there will allways be me using it - so even if every
> developer in the whole world is mysteriously wiped out by a plague (with the
> only clue strange red spiral painted on the doorstep of each affected
> household..), then gentoo will live :)

I saw a benchmark once that put the speed difference between gentoo and
$distro (i think debian and red hat in that example) somewhere between
'none' and 'within the error margins of the test'.  Most distros also
have the advantage that you don't have to watch gcc humping the cpu for
hours on end.

Something to think about if you don't have time to spare and just want
to get on with the job, I suppose.

--
tom

you are huge!  that means you have huge guts!