[Nottingham] running processes logged out...

Paul Sladen notlug at paul.sladen.org
Thu Aug 5 13:25:01 BST 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, David Wolfson wrote:
> After post-talk pub discusions, I've found 'sudo'

Best thing since sliced bread.

> I thought you said it was called 'nohub',

Under bash, `disown' and then a %job number will disown that process and
leave it running.

`nohup' as in (``NO HangUP'') will make a new process ignoring signals
telling it to die.

Another option available is GNU `screen', which is the best thing since
`sudo'.  This allows you to connect and reconnect to your shell session from
different computers, or the same computer, or multiple computers at the same
time.  ...or just detach and re-attach at a later date.  You can also
`alt-tab' between several programmes.

In fact, `sudo' might be the best thing since `screen';  ...either way, it's
lunch time.

	-Paul
--
Is there no safe way to travel?  London, GB