[Nottingham] Which distribution?

Iain Moppett Iain.Moppett at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Dec 3 20:46:06 GMT 2004

As a relative newbie who has been through such trials adn tribulations, I can recommend the Guide Linux published by Linux Format (£15 with Mandrake 9.2 inside, or free with subscription - WHSmiths in town had a copy).  It will guide you through most of the bits and also explains quite a lot of the techy bits (rpms, tarballs etc were all new to me to start with).  This months Linux fomat has got a small bit on how to do it too.

Best of luck.

Iain

Iain Moppett
Clinical Lecturer
University Department of Anaesthesia
C Floor, West Block
Queen's Medical Centre
Derby Road
Nottingham
NG7 2UH
UK
+44 (0)115 924 9924 Ext 42855
iain.moppett at nottingham.ac.uk
On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 16:17 +0000, Ron Wilton wrote:

> 1) I realised that I'd typed Windows 95 SE, when I should have typed
> Windows 98 SE - can I assume that this does make any difference to
> what you said?

Yes, as long as the filesystem is FAT (and not NTFS) which will happen
for any machine with win95, 98, me, but is an option for other versions
of windows.

> 2) You mentioned the difference between 'reformatting' and 'resizing
> partitions'. I assume that I only have one partition on my harddrive,
> therefore am I right in thinking that that I'm unable to 'resize
> partitions' and would need to reformat the whole drive if I'm to run
> both Linux and Windows off the same HD?

Programs such as "parted" can be used to resize an existing partition in
order to make space on a drive for a second partition. Some
distributions (I think) include parted in the installer, so it will
guide you through it, but in others, you'd have to do it manually. You
will need enough free space, and you would probably need to defrag your
drive first.

Rob

--
Robert Hart <enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk>