[Nottingham] A drop of port

Robert Ross rross at dmu.ac.uk
Mon Dec 6 09:46:30 GMT 2004

Hi Graeme,

> Going back a bit...
> > when I start up tomcat I get an 'could not connect to
> localhost (port
> > 8080)'.
>
> I presume that error is falling out of the Tomcat (or
> Catalina) output file?

Yep, it in Catalina_log file under /var/logs/

> In what context does that occur?
>
> 1. Attempting to bind a listener to port 8080, or
> 2. Attempting to connect some sort of handler to the Tomcat
> server on port
> 8080 in order to pass stuff through to it?

Just trying get to the default Tomcat home page as in http://localhost:8080
<enter>

> I don't know what Cocoon is

An open source CMS (Content Management System).  Look at
http://cocoon.apache.org/ It's an apache project so should be compatible
with apache and tomcat.

, but I'm betting that Tomcat
> isn't starting
> correctly and the failure is being logged by the Coccon thingy.

Didn't load it on the clean install and Tomcat still fell over.:-(

> Can we get a bit more logfile context to see where exactly
> the error arrives?
> Try to plonk it on a webserver somewhere and mail the URL
> rather than filling
> the list up with logs, or email me directly.

Did another clean install over the weekend - this time using Suse defaults
rather than trying to modify it myself.  Will hook it up today and see what
happens.

> Note also that /etc/services is only a lookup table for the
> IANA-assigned
> service names on specific ports. Lots of apps use 80[08][01]
> for things, and
> you more commonly find web caches on 3128 these days ;-)
> See http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers for more
> details. That doc
> now has 8080 as "http-alt", so you can see where the confusion arises!

Thanks, helpful info. - not been doing this for too long so still part way
up that long learning curve.

Will send more info one way or another on the success/failure of the
install.

Cheers

Robb