[Nottingham]School linux {was Meeting- Wednesday 1st December}

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Mon Dec 6 23:46:43 GMT 2004

On Friday 03 Dec 2004 09:44, Haber, Michael wrote:
> Legacy applications will be your major problem.

Just a quick update on the conversion of our Church Office to Linux. So
far I have converted just one of the three PCs to Mandrake-Linux. The
main problem experienced has been lack of 100% compatibility between
DOC files produced by Word and OOo Writer. Logos, borders and other
images tend to go awry. I have therefore installed Word running on
CrossOver, which is quite successful although images seem to print out
as black squares (I'm still working on that one).

However, the secretary using M-L has noticed that her computer is not
prone to the crashes and freezes which frequently afflict the two Win98
PCs. Her first language is Slovenian, and she was delighted when I used
LocaleDrake to change all the menus and dialog boxes into that
language. So I left her a CD of the Slovenian version of OOo to try on
her home PC (Windows).

She has emailed me to say:
"Thank you very much for the disc, I can't wait to try it out! In fact,
I told my husband all about Mandrake- Linux and we are thinking of
"switching" on it, as it is so much better. We seem to have constant
problems with the protection on our home PC,  so this disc will be a
good chance for us too see how things could work."

--
Michael Leuty
Nottingham, UK