[Nottingham]School linux {was Meeting- Wednesday 1st December}

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Wed Dec 8 19:07:52 GMT 2004

On Monday 06 Dec 2004 23:46, Michael Leuty wrote:
> On Friday 03 Dec 2004 09:44, Haber, Michael wrote:
> > Legacy applications will be your major problem.
>
> Just a quick update on the conversion of our Church Office to Linux. ...

> However, the secretary using M-L has noticed that her computer is not
> prone to the crashes and freezes which frequently afflict the two Win98
> PCs. Her first language is Slovenian, and she was delighted when I used
> LocaleDrake to change all the menus and dialog boxes into that
> language.

Michael, thanks for your update: it's useful in my thinking round the likely
school 'debate' on systems!

I hadn't thought of the I18N advantage: the language departments (in common
with most) use target-language teaching, so having their machines running
with suitable localisation could be a most 'marketable' advantage!

It will be some time before the school actually does anything, for various
reasons, but in a month or two perhaps we could all have a bit of further
general discussion on 'conversion' of a school/office environment to Linux -
either on-list or at a pub somewhere.
--
David Aldred