[Nottingham] A drop of port

Robert Ross rross at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Dec 8 15:49:58 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I have solved the problem...yea!

Having had a few discussions with Robert Postill (cheers mate) I looked
closely at the server.xml file and found that I had set both the startup and
shutdown port at 8080 - duh! (Robert had already warned me of this).  So
when I tried to shutdown the tomcat server it didn't release the port and
the error 'could not connect' was thrown up.  Once changed there was no
problem but there was still no pages showing.  That's when I looked in the
demoserver folder and spotted a folder called ROOT (all uppercase).  It
seems that Tomcat uses this as its default host, so I copied it over to the
'base' folder and all seemed to work. <smug grin>  Not pretty, but it
worked.

Thanks for all who posted. Your input was really valuable.

Cheers,

Robb