[Nottingham] Slashdot and ridiculous NTL Cache

Dave Silvester sly at mu-sly.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 12:52:54 GMT 2004

Hi everyone!

This is my first post to the list, having only joined today.

A brief introduction: I'm a freelance web programmer, moved to Nottingham in
August with my girlfriend who is at Trent Uni.  I'm running Gentoo mostly for
my work stuff, but as I also write music, I'm getting closer and closer to a
100% satisfactory Linux-based audio setup too.  I actually don't have a
Windows partition any more, which feels wonderful!  ;-)

Anyway, the reason I'm contacting this list is because I'm seriously at the
end of my tether with NTL and their crappy transparent web cache.  I'm a bit
of a Slashdot junkie, and in the last few days I've noticed that now even my
Firefox RSS feed has been banned.

It seems Slashdot has banned all NTL's Nottingham caches from being able to
log in to the site, and has now banned them from accessing the RSS feed as
well.  I've contacted both Slashdot and NTL about this, and (as expected)
haven't heard anything back.

I've had some limited success by manually specifying one of the NTL Manchester
caches on port 8080 for my web connection, as it let me log in to Slashdot
and post, but the RSS feed was still banned.  I've tried all manner of public
caches from www.publicproxyservers.com, and been able to log in but not post
to Slashdot, because Slashdot prevents you posting from public proxies.

You have to understand that Slashdot withdrawl, given that Slashdot is quite a
major part of my web browsing (and participation) experience really makes me
feel like I'm on some kind of semi-crippled web connection.  Actually, it
doesn't make me FEEL like it, it makes me KNOW it!!

There was none of this nonsense on Telewest in Birmingham!

I don't fundamentally object to the idea of surfing through a web cache, but
when it's forced upon me, with no mention of it before the 12-month
minmum-term signup, and when it's banned by my favourite site, and when the
company responsible for it can't even be bothered to reply to an email about
it... that's when I start losing my rag!

I noticed there was a thread about this in your archives last month...

http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/nottingham/2004-November/004639.html

... so obviously I'm not the only person having this problem.

NTL apparently don't give a damn, which makes me pretty annoyed that I'm
paying for a broadband connection that I can't use properly!!  They obviously
want the "benefits" (for them, in lowered bandwidth costs) of running a
transparent proxy, but without any of the customer-required administrative
duties that come with it.

To my mind, that very much includes notifying bandwidth-protective websites
that they are not actually being repeatedly beaten senseless by any one
particular connection, since that connection is a proxy.  A single email...
sheesh, is it really that much effort?

Largely, NTL will get away with it, because most users probably don't even
understand the words "transparent proxy", let alone know why it's a bad deal
for them that they might wish to complain about.

Therefore, once again, I believe NTL are doing a very poor job of running
their services (not to mention their non-existant customer service) and
wonder if anyone else is suitably annoyed about this to want to do something
about it?  Perhaps involving collectively writing and signing a letter (a
real one on paper) to NTL demanding a satisfactory resolution.

NTL are completely happy to tie us down to 12 month contracts, but they
blatantly don't give a damn about keeping their side of the deal.  I've even
respected their 1Gb per day download limit that I was also unaware of before
signup, and it just drives me crazy that all I want to do is participate in
my favourite website, and that I can't, because of their stupid proxy setup.

Hehe... sorry for the rant, but I'm not the kind of passive "don't want to
cause a fuss" customer that will take bad service on the nose, especially
when I'm tied down to a 12-month contract that forces me to continue to pay
for it!

Cheers,

~Dave

--

Dave Silvester
Music Technology Junkie | Rentable Website Monkey