[Nottingham] Slashdot and ridiculous NTL Cache

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 13:01:47 GMT 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:52:49 +0000, Dave Silvester <sly at mu-sly.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi everyone!

<snip considerable rant>

You could've learned about NTL and their proxy with some very simple
googling. As a web developer I would expect you to evaluate IT
purchases rather than blindly going in and expecting certain service
levels.

> Hehe... sorry for the rant, but I'm not the kind of passive "don't want to
> cause a fuss" customer that will take bad service on the nose, especially
> when I'm tied down to a 12-month contract that forces me to continue to pay
> for it!

I really don't think it's NTLs fault here. It's slashdot that have
banned the range of IP addresses used by the NTL proxies. They could
just as easily have banned the range of IP addresses used by NTL
customers. You'd be even more stuffed then!

Only continued pressure on cmdr taco et al will resolve this.

Don't forget you can always use the NTL proxies in other parts of the
country. I for example am on NTL down south and am not blocked. Why
not use the proxy I use?

Of course you've seen

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html

glfd-cache-1.server.ntli.net  is the one I am on I think.

Cheers,
Al.