Mandrake -> NTL broadband connection (Was: [Nottingham] OpenOffice.Org grammer checker required)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 20:31:34 GMT 2004

Tony Shaw wrote:
[...]
> I am using an ethernet connection, and I have tried upgrading from mdk
> 9.2 to mdk 10.0 & mdk 10.1, althought they both setup the connection
> during the upgrade and via the full install I still can not use the net.
> All I get when I try to use the net is that the settings are not correct
> or something along those lines. So I have to re-install mdk 9.2 in-order
> to use my net connection correctly.

There's certainly no need to reinstall!

Using the "Configure Your Computer" Mandrake Conrol Centre, there's the
option in there to set up your internet and lan connections. What
happens with that util after running through the options?

There's an option specifically for cable modems. You're likely using
eth0. Select DHCP. DESELECT the hotplugging option.

...And what do you get?

(The cable modem must be on and connected before all this (:-))

There's good pointers at:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html

Good luck,
Martin

Mandrake 10.0.1 GNU/Linux via an NTL cable modem
(and soon onto 10.1 (:-))

martin at ml1.co.uk