[Nottingham] io scheduler crash

Chris Hammond christopher.hammond at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 12:23:02 GMT 2004

Hello there everyone,

Another first time poster asking for a little help. I'm not
particularly experienced with linux but have mucked around with SUSE a
bit over the years. I'm currently trying to install Gentoo on my
laptop, since I was finding SUSE annoying because I really had no idea
of what was going on at the base level. Everything seems to be going
ok but, having compiled my kernel, when I reboot to the new system for
the first time it crashes whilst trying to load the io scheduler.

I've tried using several schedulers and several kernel sources (all
2.6.9) but to no avail. Since the LiveCD works fine, I'm pretty sure
what's happened is that I've chosen the wrong options to compile my
kernel but I can't work out what I've missed. I'd guess that if I used
genkernel it would work but I'd like to optimise the system. The
laptop is a Pentium 4 celeron with an SiS M650 chipset.

The problem seems to be with the IDE controller. With menuconfig I've
installed the SiS 5513 IDE/ATA drivers and they would appear to be the
appropriate drivers since they load on the LiveCD, but when I boot off
the hard disk they don't load, the computer doesn't appear to mount
any IDE device and the scheduler crashes probably as a result.

I've got a dmesg output from the LiveCD if you want me to send it. I
don't know how to get any sort of boot log off the crashing system
though for comparison. I've also got the lspci and lsmod outputs from
when the computer boots if that'll help.

Thanks very much,

Chris