[Nottingham] io scheduler crash

Richard Morris richard at tannery.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 19:14:19 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 12:22 +0000, Chris Hammond wrote:
> Hello there everyone,
>
> Another first time poster asking for a little help. I'm not
> particularly experienced with linux but have mucked around with SUSE a
> bit over the years. I'm currently trying to install Gentoo on my
> laptop, since I was finding SUSE annoying because I really had no idea
> of what was going on at the base level. Everything seems to be going
> ok but, having compiled my kernel, when I reboot to the new system for
> the first time it crashes whilst trying to load the io scheduler.
>
> I've tried using several schedulers and several kernel sources (all
> 2.6.9) but to no avail. Since the LiveCD works fine, I'm pretty sure
> what's happened is that I've chosen the wrong options to compile my
> kernel but I can't work out what I've missed. I'd guess that if I used
> genkernel it would work but I'd like to optimise the system. The
> laptop is a Pentium 4 celeron with an SiS M650 chipset.

Chris,

I'd try using genkernel first to see if you can build a kernel that you
can boot from.

If it works you can always build a more customised kernel to meet your
needs, basing it on the .config file from genkernel.

genkernel has, like most programs lots of options, including one to run
menuconfig to enable the bits that you want. You could try something
like:

genkernel all --menuconfig --bootsplash --install --udev \
--bootloader=grub  --mountboot

Which will:
* build all steps
* run menuconfig
* install bootsplash support
* install the kernel once it has been built
* enable support for udev
* configure grub.conf for you
* mount /boot for you

--