[Nottingham] Shell programming

Dan Mackdermott dan at inputlink.net
Fri Dec 17 15:22:22 GMT 2004

Hi,

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Robert Hart wrote:

> There are always things that are useful that you either haven't heard
> of, or have forgotten.
>
> I just rediscovered "seq" which has saved me no end of time.
>
> Best bet is to have a look through the output of "help" (in bash) and
> "ls /bin" and make sure you have some idea what everything does.
> Then pick something random out of "/usr/bin" everyday and see what it
> can do.

Better still would be to have a look at http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
which is the 'Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide'.  It breaks down lots of the
more interesting commands and gives examples as well.  It's a
comprehensive guide that, at the moment, would result in 585 printed pages
of output if you were to print the PDF at
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/abs-guide.pdf.

Cheers,

Dan

--