[Nottingham] Shell programming

Duncan John Fyfe djf at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Dec 17 16:07:45 GMT 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Roger Light wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I want a generic shell programming book for my lab here at work. A bit of
> sed/awk, anything else useful. Can anybody recommend something? I don't just
> want the sed/awk book from O'Reilly :)

O'Reilly's Linux in a nutsell covers a little bit of everything:
 	common command line tools, bash, t?csh, sed , gawk

it is a pretty reasonable reference but utterly useless if you want
example scripts.

> On a related note - are there any commands you use that are very useful but
> might not be well known?

Probably but I use them so often that I wouldn't know if they were 'not
well known' ;)

cut, sort, paste, split, tr ....

Have fun,
Duncan