[Nottingham] Mandrake install onto SATA HDDs help [Fwd: Posting to Lug mail list problem... help?]

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 16:10:37 GMT 2004

Jason,

####
[---]
I only signed up this account with the LUG on Saturday although I have
my home address signed up for a while.
Basically I can't post - or at least my post didn't appear.
####

For the newslist, your reply-to/from addresses must be the ones that you
signed up with. If you have multiple email accounts, easiest is just to
have multiple newslist accounts to match and junk the duplicates you get.

And don't post anything spam-like or dubious or including three dots or
all-caps or anything anti-Godfrey or you'll get despammed never to heard
of again!

(Don't use too much punctuation either --- (:-O)

And then we might see your posts --- (;-))

####
In the maintime please could you pass on my email question which follows?
Sorry for bothering you but i know you check email regularly.
Thanks a lot,
Jason

Dear all,
I'm hoping one of you will be able to tel me the answer to this.
I just got a new PC.
Motherboard:     MSI Neo FSIR :
                             875P Northbridge
                             ICH5 Southbridge (Serial HDD are on this)
                             Promise Raid controller, however this is not
used currently on the setup
2 S-ATA drives, 1 cd writer, 1 dvd reader (I never have enough to write to
bother with a dvd writer before someone comments on this).

Mandrake 10.0CE installed fine but when I tried to install 10.1CE the
installer said it couldn't find any CD drives or HDDs. Which isn't too
useful.
I tried yelling at it and telling it to turn round and look where it
came from
but I think it has failing eyesight and can't see the dvd it was installing
itself from.

Anyway, at the point it stops it gives me a great list of drivers I can
try. I
tried a few that looked promising but to no avail.

As I saw something in a google search about 10.1 not working with someone
else's S-ATA drives I was wondering if it could be the same thing.

I'm hoping that if I give the installer the correct driver/kernel module
thing
then it'll work.

So now the simple questions.

I have mdk10.0CE installed. Can I get a list of the modules 10.0 uses
and get
any info I can use for the 10.1 installer? (e.g. lsmod or /proc/modules?)

Assuming I've identified the modules that are needed (big assumption)
how do I
find which 10.1 rpm they're in and extract them? i.e. is there an easy
to use
function to find the contents of rpms and extract files? (I vaguely
recollect
an rpm to tar or something tool I used before?)

Once I have a list of these, if I want to put them on a floppy to try to
get
the installer to find them then what format should the floppy be? I
guess you
need to know mandrake installer to know this one.

Someone here said something about it may be libata missing in the installer
but I haven't investigated this yet. Really preferred to know what I was
doing before I broke something.

Is there a better thing to try than this?

Thanks a lot,
Jason
####

I've not tried Mandrake with SATA so don't know. Some SATA controllers
are supported, check their site for hardware support. MSI are usually
well supported.

I've got 10.1 "Official" on CDs if you would like a copy for suitable
replacement media/fluids (;-)) I'll be trying an install over Christmas.

martin at ml1.co.uk