[Nottingham] Ubuntu

Martin Garton martin at wrasse.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 16:24:54 GMT 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Ron Wilton wrote:

> Has anyone installed 'ubuntu'? I would be grateful for any comments, and
> experiences.

Yes. I have given it a brief try and as a desktop OS I must say I was
impressed.

The installer is perfect imo. Some folks would prefer it to be graphical
but that doesn't bother me.  It only asked what it really has to and
everything else seemed to have sensible defaults.  I've never seen better
hardware detection during an install.

Despite initial concerns, I grew to like the idea that root is disabled
and all administration is done via sudo.

The included gnome2.8 desktop worked well out of the box. I don't know if
ubuntu uses udev and hal etc, but ubuntu managed to plug and play all the
usb hardware I could throw at it and provided icons on the desktop etc.

Being closely related to debian is an advantage also IMO.

Other than that, I haven't dug any deeper yet.

Having said all that, this is my assesment with my "desktop user" hat on,
which personally is not my favourite hat when it comes to linux.  So
whether ubuntu suits your personal needs depends.  It certainly wouldn't
be my favourite general purpose OS.

--
Martin.