[Nottingham] Ubuntu/firewalls (lack of)/wine

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 19:45:53 GMT 2004

Alan Pope wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:50:45 +0000, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:
>>Alan Pope wrote:
>>
>>>A firewall would stop them getting in,
>>
>>In the first place, no.
>
> I didn't mean that. I meant getting in as in accessing the opened port.

If there are no services running, then there are no open ports to access
from the outside in the first place, even before finding anything open
to exploit.

And then for whatever exploits of your web browser, a firewall wouldn't
be of any help because your web browser asked for whatever pages and
your firewall must be open to such requests to let you surf.

In this scenario, the firewall is superfluous...

Much easier to have client software with the known security holes
patched, and to not download and execute malware.

Regards,

martin at ml1.co.uk