[Nottingham] Ubuntu/firewalls (lack of)/wine

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Tue Dec 21 20:46:01 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 21 Dec 2004 17:50, Martin wrote:
> Most firewalls are very lazyly configured to let everything out and
> anything related back in.

True: including the default Mandrake setup (as I found out when trying to test
something, and getting totally unexpected results - results not repeatable
from any machine other than my own).

How would I actually switch that behaviour off?

And on a related point, I'm confused as to how to limit ssh access to the
machine.   It's not a problem at the moment (it's limited to machines on my
local network only by Shorewall rules), but ideally I'd like to be able to
allow Peter to use ssh (and by extension scp) when he's in Cambridge.  Is te
best way to use hosts.allow and hosts.deny, or is there a better way?

--
David Aldred