[Nottingham] Mandrake install onto SATA HDDs help (plus Raid explanation link)

Jason Atkin jaa at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Wed Dec 22 14:07:02 GMT 2004

> I've not tried Mandrake with SATA so don't know. Some SATA controllers
> are supported, check their site for hardware support. MSI are usually
> well supported.

Typo, sorry. Mobo is MSI 875P NEO FISR (not FSIR)
Mandrake site has no mention of MSI 875P of any type :-(
The Linux compatibility test involved a 'does mdk 10.0 install and work' - I
didn't think to check in any more detail. Doh!

> I've got 10.1 "Official" on CDs if you would like a copy for suitable
> replacement media/fluids (;-)) I'll be trying an install over Christmas.
That's nice of you.
I'm not around much at Christmas anyway and I'll 'cope' with 10.0 for the
moment but to be honest it does look like a driver issue.

> Fedora have had terrible problems with the SATA drivers in the 2.6.x tree,
> in the main this meant that a recent FC3 kernel update Just Plain Broke.
> The fix came along a day or two later. I'd hazard a guess that the same
> kernel problem is manifest in MDK10.1, but not being a regular (like 4
> years back) mandrake person I couldn't begin to say if that's right.

Nods. I saw a comment about the drivers (or kernel modules or whatever you
call them) being changed for the installer to ones that don't work. But it
implied it was just the installer that was wrong so if you could miraculously
get it installed it'd be fine because the installed kernel was different to
that in the installer.

Anyway, does anyone know:
When it says on the installer you can give it extra modules from a floppy,
what format should I use for the floppy? Should I format it as fat or under
Linux?

You could try reading:
http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/Storage/RAID.shtml
for an explanation of raid0 and 1.
(Probably better places but as it includes pictures and was an early entry
google found it seems as good as any.)