[Nottingham] Mandrake install onto SATA HDDs help [Fwd: Posting to Lug mail list problem... help?]

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Wed Dec 22 10:55:28 GMT 2004

Jason wrote:
> I'm hoping one of you will be able to tel me the answer to this.
> I just got a new PC.
> Motherboard:     MSI Neo FSIR :
>                              875P Northbridge
>                              ICH5 Southbridge (Serial HDD are on this)
>                              Promise Raid controller, however this is not
> used currently on the setup
> 2 S-ATA drives, 1 cd writer, 1 dvd reader (I never have enough to write to
> bother with a dvd writer before someone comments on this).

Ding!

Fedora have had terrible problems with the SATA drivers in the 2.6.x tree, in
the main this meant that a recent FC3 kernel update Just Plain Broke. The fix
came along a day or two later. I'd hazard a guess that the same kernel problem
is manifest in MDK10.1, but not being a regular (like 4 years back) mandrake
person I couldn't begin to say if that's right.

HTH

Graeme