[Nottingham] Another quick question...

Jason Atkin jaa at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Wed Dec 22 16:47:21 GMT 2004

> > Anyway, does anyone know:
> > When it says on the installer you can give it extra modules from a
> > floppy, what format should I use for the floppy? Should I format it as
> > fat or under Linux?

> ext2 would be a better bet...

Thanks, I thought it may be a stupid question but I didn't know if the
installers were designed to be friendly towards people who had linux
installed already or who were migrating from windows.

While I'm at it... do you know how to 'unformat' a floppy?
I have a load of floppies with FAT formatting but when I try to use them for
boot disks (i.e. set lilo.conf to /dev/fd0) it says it won't do it because
it'd break the filesystem.
Now with a manual call of lilo I can just use lilo -F to force it. Sadly
neither the mandrake control console thing nor the mandrake installer have a
-F option in their GUI when you use them. They just fail. So unless I can
remove the filesystem from a floppy I can't use it at install time to put
lilo on the floppy rather than the MBR. (Throwing it across the room doesn't
help - I tried it.)