[Nottingham] Another quick question...

Jason Atkin jaa at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Wed Dec 22 17:18:06 GMT 2004

> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0

Excellent thanks. And an occasion where I won't break something if I get if
and of the wrong way round :-) Always good.

While you're all on a roll... (Tell me to stop BEFORE you get sick of the
questions please, rather than once I've already annoyed you.)
To back up my master boot record can I use something like:
dd if=/dev/hda of=./bootsector bs=512 count=1

If so what's the bs actually got to be? 512, 520? And have I messed up
anything else in the line that'll make a total mess of things (before I try
it)?

dd is your friend, until you get if and of the wrong way round. OOPS.