[Nottingham] Samba (again)

Steve Caddy steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 31 18:01:52 GMT 2004

Actually, this might not be a Samba problem directly, but I'm having
such a bad time with this, I'm looking for inspiration.

A small company that I work for wants to have lots of user accounts
on their win2k network. The obvious solution is a domain. They don't
like the price tag that comes with a 2003 server, so I suggested that
one of their old P233 boxes running linux would be ok.

Then things began to go wrong :-/

Suse 9.1 personal refused to install, so I pulled out my old RH9 CDs,
and gave that a go... success... slowly.

Eventually, I managed to turn off the firewall, and get samba sharing,
but getting a win2k box to join the domain was a nightmare. After
following a howto on the web somewhere (which included some registry
hacking) I managed to force a machine to join the domain. However,
I now get lots or roaming profile errors, and other pop-up errors
when I try to access the network from this machine.

I dread to think what I'm going to have to do to add new domain users
to the system... and get them working.

I'm afraid my linux skills have gone much more rusty than I thought, so
before I throw the lot out of the window (from the second floor, it'll
make a mess when it lands), is anyone prepared to help me through this?
(on or off list, maybe via irc?)

Steve "Dyn" Caddy

--
"Hardware - the part of the computer you kick when the software fails"
Email: steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com