[Nottingham] Best distribution with apt for a newbie?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 13:06:55 GMT 2004

Simon Osborne wrote:
> I'm stuck in a muddle trying to find a distribution that gives me
> everything I want. I know next to nothing about Linux so I really need
> something that is simple to install with a graphical installer, but
> powerful enough to grow as I learn more about the system.
[...]

> Mandrake - I can't stand it. It's way too bloated and slow on my system.

???!
What system are you running?
(CPU, RAM, HDD, LAN specs?)

Whatever level of 'bloat' is completely configurable. The install can be
selected to be anything from 500MB up to over 4GB of stuff if you
wish... You can even now get Mandrake 'Knoppix' style on a 'live' cd.

The slowness shouldn't be. You might have inadvertantly missconfigured
the LAN connection and then the system was waiting for time-outs at
every step...

As with all things Linux, you gets lots of choice, and then many
choosings for each of the choices!

Obviously I'm very pleased with the Mandrake setup I have here. Good
graphical configurability to start with. You can also bash the configs
directly when you get to know how later.

Good luck with the hunt,
and let us know what you find,

Mandrake 9.2 - GNU - Linux

martin at ml1.co.uk