[Nottingham] config.sub manufacture not recognised

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Feb 6 12:12:20 GMT 2004

I've been trying to set up a cron job to update antivirus software by downloading the relavant files periodically.  I've been adapting a script that uses wget to retrieve the files, but the network here uses a proxy server, so when ever I try to retive a page outside the local intranet all I get is the proxy page.

So far I've not been able to configure wget to overcome this, but have been advised that sget should work.  I've downloaded sget (and setup automake and autoconfig) but have got stuck again.  When running configure, I get the following error:

configure: error: /bin/sh ./config.sub i686-unknown-linux failed

having read round a bit, I gather that this means that config.sub cannot recognise the system manufacturer (it's AMD Athlon) and so cannot carry on with the insatllation.

I'm a realtive newbie to linux, so have not got much experience with this type of install, but I'm guessing that this will be a problem ever time I try and install something...

Is anybody able to offer some advice how to overcome this please?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

David Wolfson

Institute of Biomechanics