[Nottingham] accessing pci bus with kde and mepis

James Green jkg at earth.li
Wed Feb 18 21:59:30 GMT 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:09:47PM +0000, Carl Ebrey wrote:

> In order to allow your user access to that, you want to edit /etc/group (using
> your favourite editor) and add your username to the audio group.  You'll want

This works, no doubt, but editing /etc/group is probably best done using
something like vigr -- sure, this is a single user system and locking
etc doesn't matter, but it's no bad thing to do things right from the
outset.

(oh, setting $VISUAL/$EDITOR to something nice instead of horrible vi
first might... sorry, I'll just get my coat)

Better yet, though, for just adding a user to a group

# adduser jkg audio

has always worked for me.

James Green | jkg at jimbo.org.uk
PGP key ID 81AE16FF, available from a key server near you