[Nottingham] strange problem with apache webserver

James Beckett jmb at hackery.net
Fri Feb 20 17:47:13 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 16:21, Carl Ebrey wrote:
> I used to get this problem all the time, until I figured out that I
> could change the port that my router listens on.  Obviously I don't know
> what your router is, and therefore whether it supports such a thing, but
> if it does I can highly recommend it. :)

Carl,

What is your router?  This is a problem I have too, and because I'm
hosting multiple domains I can't use the http://localhost/ trick -
I have to create multiple hacks in /etc/hosts to keep all the domains
visible from inside the LAN, which is a mess to keep maintained.

I'm using a DLink DSL-500, and I don't think that trick will work:
(a) there seems to be no way to change the http listen port and
(b) trying to connect out-and-back-through to a different port which
I know /is/ accessible from outside (eg SMTP) is blocked.

If anyone else knows of (ADSL) routers that will route packets from
the LAN side, with dest addr of the WAN side of the router, back in
through the NAT port redirection, I'd be interested in hearing your
experiences...

cheers,
James
--